Here’s Shug Jordan doing the “Good Game” with Darrell Royal after the 1974 Gator Bowl. Royal died yesterday at the age of 88. It was the only gridiron meeting between the two coaching legends
Seven-point underdogs going in, Auburn dominated and beat Texas, 27-3.
Auburn’s 1974 squad is the awesome asterisk of the post-Amazin Auburn teams of the 70s. In fact, they would have won the Iron Bowl and altered the entire modern psychology of the rivalry but “no flag, of course.”
Photos: Brad Ashmore.
Related: Shug’s letter from Beano Cook.
If you’d like to help TWER dig up more never-bef0re-seen photos of Shug’s and other legendary coaches, click here.
* The Eagles’ Joe Walsh in an Auburn shirt
* Auburn’s banned 1979 student recruitment poster
* Only undefeated Triple Crown winner owned by Auburn grads
* Elvis says “War Eagle”
* Alabama in Auburn gear
* Diagram of a 1983 Auburn student
* That OTHER time they burned the Glom
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Want to advertise?
Shug and Auburn beat Royal when he coached at Miss. St,
Ah, you’re right. Thanks!