The Plainsman headline (May 10, 1984 issue) was “Alabama disappointed with crowd turnout,” but by the looks on their faces they were spiritually wounded.
They blamed it on the inclement weather (including tornadoes) in the area that night (May 3). I mean, you don’t want to think the crimson whiff understandably clinging to a band called Alabama would keep the Auburn kids away from the CMA entertainers of the year out of spite, especially when you’ve gone out of your way to Tiger up for the show; guitarist Jeff Cook was in an Auburn T-shirt, lead singer Randy Owen was in an Auburn jersey. But whatever the reason, only half of the $13 Beard-Eaves seats available sold.
Owen called it “discouraging.”
* Tomatoes growing at Toomer’s Corner
* That OTHER time they burned the Glom
* Auburn’s 1960 cheesecake schedule
* I think of Kurt Crain
* Secondhand Shug
* Smithsonian Magazine photographs kid in Auburn hat at Texas prom
* The WiFi Network Names of Auburn
* Auburn’s Legend of Zelda
* Pat Sullivan orders a “Wishbone T” on Bob Hope
* Former Nitro Girl recalls time at Auburn