What do you get for winning the greatest football game ever (and ten of 11 games before that)? Nearly 1.5 million dollars more a year, “for a long time.”
The press release:
Auburn University Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs announced today that he extended the contract of Coach Gus Malzahn for a six-year period in recognition of the Auburn football team’s success in his first year as head coach.
“As I’ve said before, we want Coach Malzahn to be at Auburn for a long time,” Jacobs said.
“The new contract includes a raise and extension and is our statement that Auburn is committed to Coach Malzahn for the long haul. While this season has been remarkable, I’m equally excited about the future of our program under his leadership. The future of Auburn football is very bright.”
“I couldn’t be more pleased with our student-athletes and our coach,” Jacobs added.
Auburn University President Dr. Jay Gogue expressed his support for Jacobs’ action.
“Jay made a good recommendation, and I support it. A lot of programs would love to have Coach Malzahn, so this is a good move that allows him to continue taking Auburn football where our fans want it. I’ve consulted with the president pro tem of the Auburn Board, and he let me know that he supports it as well.”
Jimmy Rane, the president pro tem of Auburn’s Board, added his sentiment to the extension. “What began as a new day has turned into a great day for Auburn and the Auburn family.”
The contract extension increases Malzahn’s annual salary to $3.85 million next year with a $250,000 increase for each subsequent year.
Congrats coach, you’ve earned it.
More OMG Iron Bowl:
* Amazing girl lip synchs Rod Bramblett’s amazing Iron Bowl call
* Congrats, Auburn fans—you survived an earthquake
* Cremated remains found in Jordan-Hare Stadium after Iron Bowl
* Cam Newton ‘War Eagles’ throughout his post-game press conference Sunday after Iron Bowl
* New York Post: Iron Bowl ending ‘greatest in the history of sports’
* Pensacola bridge completely covered in Auburn graffiti after Iron Bowl
* Highlights, Iron Bowl, Highlights
* Watch Rod Bramblett, Stan White and the Auburn radio broadcast booth react to the final play
* Hear Rod and Eli back to back
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Want to advertise? Spare a dollar?
Leave a Reply