Somehow we learned that there was a Tiger Avenue in Iraq before we learned about the War Eagle Drive in Huntsville. Life’s funny that way.
Photo by Lamar Miller ’70.
Did you see something AUsome? Weird? Today? Whenever? Take a picture of it? Screen cap it? Know someone who did?
Send it to us at [email protected]
… and check out the Photo of the Day archives.
* The Secret History of Pat Dye Field
* Erin Andrews at Toomer’s Corner
* In the time of “Got 13″ she was a Tiger
* Was Walt Disney an Auburn fan?
* AU fan possibly contributed to Courtney Love’s teenage delinquency
* Player on 1972 ‘Amazin’s’ squad battling Lou Gehrig’s Disease
* Auburn alumna tops TheHill.com’s “50 Most Beautiful People” list
* Young Bartley meets David Housel for breakfast
* Auburn amputee has tiger-striped prosthetic legs
* Harry Connick Jr. — Auburn Man?
I’m from Decatur and, unfortunately, there is a Roll Tide Drive or Avenue or Lane like a block over that takes away from the coolness factor.
According to Google Maps, the only way to get to Roll Tide Drive is by using War Eagle Drive.
I remember hearing from someone that at one point the legislature designated Hwy 280 War Eagle highway and some road outside of Tuscaloosa Roll Tide Road or something like that. But students of the opposing schools (or maybe the respective schools) kept stealing the signs so they quit putting them up.
AU Tiger says
This sign has been stolen and replaced many times over the past 20 years or so. It is now bigger than it used to be.
Wendy Patterson says
There is a War Eagle Road, in War Eagle,Arkansas!
Adam in Bham says
I can’t be the first to notice that it intersects Jordan, right?
Adam, you are right. Jordan Lane is actually one of the busier roads in Huntsville; it connects I-565 to University (US-72). I drive by this every other day practically and it never fails to make me smile. But once again (And I hate to keep being the party pooper) the coolness factor takes a hit as the H-Ville indigenous pronounce it JOR-dan Lane instead of JERR-dan Lane. Never too late to start a campaign though. Hmm….