Shug ain’t never been nothin’ but a trendsetter. Having your stadium named after you while you’re still coaching… houndstooth… and apparently he was also twirlin’ towel when Trooper Taylor was still in diapers.
Here he is twice inciting rah-rah a la TERRYcloth in Auburn’s 1970 win over Tennessee in Birmingham (which you can watch in its entirety here).
Eagle Eye Award to Allen Spain.
Related: Secondhand Shug.
* That time they burned the Glom
* Auburn’s 1960 cheesecake schedule
* I think of Kurt Crain
* Smithsonian Magazine photographs kid in Auburn hat at Texas prom
* Auburn’s Legend of Zelda
* Pat Sullivan orders a “Wishbone T” on Bob Hope
* Former Nitro Girl recalls time at Auburn