It’s Tennessee week. We have the 1972 game. And the ’71 game. Here’s the 1970 version. We counted 29 turnovers (that’s when we stopped counting), one Sullivan to Beasley touchdown bomb, one safety, one Shug towel shake, and at least one gender role reversal on the Tennessee sideline.
Makes you wonder if this was some sort of crazy cheerleader thing to do at the time. But I Googled around for Guy Cheerleader Rides Girl Cheerleader’s Back type stuff and couldn’t really find anything beyond porn plot outlines (which I suppose I should have anticipated). Though judging by the dude there on the left, I’m not the only one it made go “hmmm…”
But gender issues were apparently on minds of everyone that day, not just the Volunteers. Here’s a still from the Auburn University Marching Band’s halftime show.
All in all, pretty wacky game. At least we won. (Can’t see the video? Try here.)
Video courtesy Allen Spain.
Related: Auburn in 1971 SEC Promo Film.
* Auburn art museum places winning bid on amazing Warhol photo of John Oates in an Auburn shirt
* Smithsonian Magazine photographs kid in Auburn hat at Texas prom
* The WiFi Network Names of Auburn
* Auburn’s Legend of Zelda
* Pat Sullivan orders a “Wishbone T” on Bob Hope
* “Cougar Town” star gets Glom’ed
* Auburn-educated astronaut wanted ‘War Eagle’ to be first words on the moon