It’s not just his giant GQ face—Cam Newton’s million dollar heart is apparently still at Jordan-Hare as well, a fact Gus Malzahn didn’t mind sharing with Kevin Scarbinsky for a “Told You So” column on the Blessed Individual’s critic clobbering NFL debut:
Oh, and Malzahn has a message for anyone that believed Newton was a mercenary done with Auburn after his Pro Day there. Guess who called Malzahn after Barrett Trotter made an impressive debut of his own in Auburn’s opening win over Utah State?
“I texted him,” Malzahn said. “He called me.”
Seems that Newton and another former Tiger with the Panthers, Lee Ziemba, had watched their old school’s electric comeback.
“They were excited for us,” Malzahn said. “Cam was very excited for Barrett. I think they talked that day, too.”
Malzahn apparently only caught one play of Newton’s game against the Cardinals, a scramble. He only learned just how stellar the rest of the plays were upon receiving a text from Panthers GM Marty Hurney that said Newton “did a great job.”
* Giant blue tiger-striped banners hung from Jordan-Hare
* Auburn Engineering Students flew a Mechanical Eagle around the practice facility Wednesday morning
* Erotic Auburn Beer Stein
* Shug Jordan dug the heck out of houndstooth
* War Eagle Moment from space scheduled for October 25
* “War Eagle” carved into face of the Spinx
* Fans equate Iron Bowl losses with the end of the world—now confirmed by science!
* Auburn is the question, Cam the answer on Jeopardy!
* Derek Jeter’s guardian angel spotted—and he’s an Auburn fan
* Vintage Ernest P. Worrell Auburn / Mello Yello commercial
* Auburn fan shot dead in Alabama fan rap video