It’s one thing to read about it. But watching Terry Bowden (who somehow kept a straight face) actually respond to charges from Mississippi State coach Jackie Sherrill that Auburn was spiking its footballs with helium is a nice reminder that, no, it isn’t some apocryphal tailgate tale people trot out once a year… it came up at press conferences and the beat writers and news anchors couldn’t help but laugh about it like everyone else. (Can’t see the video? Try here.)
“I’m not joking,” a smiling Phil Snow tells viewers during an WSFA sports segment on the SEC’s “secret search” for “funny footballs” at Auburn, “they really did an investigation.”
Video: Auburn Obsessive.
* Mississippi State fan sues Auburn, SEC over confiscated cowbell; calls rule ‘unconstitutional’
* Shug: ‘The cowbells have no place in college football’
* That time Mississippi State accused Auburn punter Terry Daniel of filling footballs with helium
If you’d like to help TWER keep on keepin’ on, click here.
* ‘Did you say LSU or LS-PEW?’ Katy Perry uses corn dogs to pick Auburn over LSU in bizarre ESPN GameDay appearance
* Twelve years later, Syracuse sports writer who was ‘Changed Forever’ by Auburn gameday experience reflects on his most popular column ever
* ‘Jeopardy’ contestant whose ‘Cheers’-referencing final response went viral wishes she’d written ‘War Eagle’
* Recent Auburn grad featured in ABC News segment on professional Viners
* Fore Eagle! Auburn fan Zach Manning describes the moment he found Rory McIlroy’s tee shot in his shorts pocket
* Teen who poured her Auburn soul out after wisdom teeth extraction recovering nicely, dishes dirt on Dayton
* What was the probability of an Auburn win before each snap of the 2013 Iron Bowl? Now we know.