The 1972 LSU game sucked: a 35-7 LSU rout. It was the only game Auburn lost that year (fun photos here). But it had its moments, namely this play and photo: David Langner intercepts a pass, hops on his magic carpet, and heads for the end zone.
It was wet, it was nasty, it was OA-News photographer Herb Cawthorne’s first major assignment.
According to Cawthorne, the Associated Press went on to name it the Sports Photo of the Year.
* Pat Dye responds to ‘loudmouth’ allegations from 1959
* Dean Foy discusses the lewdness of youth
* Fear and Loathing in Tuscaloosa
* Jimmy Buffett Sang: Let’s Get Drunk and Screw (Up My 1st Year at Auburn)
* Former Auburn football player plays for Busey’s “Bear”