Cam Newton’s jersey number has yet to (officially) be retired, but his name is apparently already off limits. At least that’s the impression Auburn JUCO running back transfer Cameron Artis-Payne gave during Auburn player interviews Wednesday morning.
“Cameron Artis-Payne says people called him Cam until he arrived at AU,” al.com beat writer Brandon Marcello tweeted after Auburn’s practice. “Pretty obvious designation reserved for a certain AU Heisman winner.”
We caught up with Cam(eron) and asked him about the change in moniker.
“Well, I’ve been called both,” he said. “But they already have a Cam here, so I have to be Cameron.”
* Auburn grad pays tribute to Toomer’s Oaks with giant back tattoo
* Auburn’s 70s Super Fan
* Selena Roberts, Auburn student journalist
* Apple CEO Tim Cook huge Auburn fan even in high school
* Shug Jordan’s houndstooth hat is prized possession of former Auburn coed who caught it after ’69 Iron Bowl, claims it predates Bear’s
* That time David Housel punked the SEC with fake recruits