Military paratroopers, or Para-Commandos, will be included in Auburn’s special halftime show celebrating Military Appreciation Day at the Texas A&M game on Oct. 27. There will also (finally) be a pre-game F-16 flyover.
Here’s AU’s press release:
AUBURN — To honor the men and women who serve and have served this great nation in military service, Auburn University has scheduled numerous military-themed events as part of Military Appreciation Day on Oct. 27 when Auburn hosts Texas A&M at Jordan-Hare Stadium at 6 p.m.
- There will be a flyover featuring four F-16 jets, two of the aircrafts will be piloted by Auburn graduate Drew “Snapper” Lehman and Texas A&M graduate Mike “Midnight” Rose. The pilots and ground crew come from the McEntire Joint National Guard Base in South Carolina from the 15th Fighter Squadron, the Swamp Foxes. (Disclaimer: The demonstration is subject to cancellation in the event of unsafe conditions)
- The U.S. Special Operations Command Parachute Demonstration Team, known as the Para-Commandos, is scheduled to perform a free fall parachute demonstration during halftime. The jumpers normally exit the aircraft from an altitude of 12,500 feet, freefalling at speeds in excess of 120 miles per hour (Disclaimer: The demonstration is subject to cancellation in the event of unsafe conditions)
- Auburn ROTC will lead the Auburn football team through Tiger Walk at approximately 4 p.m.
- The National Infantry Museum, located in Columbus, Ga., has donated a limited edition infantry coin, the Soldier Silver Dollar, to be used at the pregame coin toss.
- Joining the team captains during the coin toss will be four Wounded Warriors representing both Auburn and Texas A&M.
- IMG College has partnered with Dixie Division Military Vehicles Club to bring in military display vehicles which will be presented at the Dawson Lawn, across from the Coca-Cola FanFest and the quad in front of the Auburn Arena. The vehicles will include WWII, Korean War and Vietnam era jeeps, a gun truck from the Vietnam War, cargo trucks and a military ambulance.
- DRASH will be setup on the Dawson Lawn (Across from Coca-Cola FanFest) offering fans the opportunity to check out a unique shelter infrastructure used around the world by all branches of the U.S. Military. These quick-erect shelter systems integrate shelter, mobility, lighting, heating, cooling and power in one package.
- The Auburn University Marching Band will present a special halftime military tribute that includes American Salute, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, Stars and Stripes Forever, and a surprise grand finale.
- The 1/117 Field Artillery Bn, Salute Cannon Team, Alabama National Guard, will be positioned on the field during the game. Two howitzers, from the Alabama National Guard, will be on display on Nichols Center Lawn (home of Auburn University ROTC).
- The Auburn football team will be wearing special helmet decals for Saturday’s game, and the coaching staff will adorn that same decal on the sleeve of their gameday shirts.
- General Lloyd Austin III, U.S. Army vice chief of staff, and Charlene Austin will serve as co-presenters at the College of Education’s Keystone Leader-in Residence lecture series on Friday, Oct. 26 at 11 a.m. at the Alumni Center. The event is free and open to the general public.
- On Friday at 4 p.m., JoEllen Sefton will lead the All-Star Lecture Series at the Alumni Center to discuss Auburn Warrior research. From Blackhawk helicopters to new Infantry recruits, research center investigators are finding solutions to improve life for our Military, Veterans and Families. The event is free and open to the general public.
- Coca-Cola has produced 3,500 Auburn Military Appreciation buttons which will be distributed at the Coca-Cola FanFest on Nichols Lawn beginning at 2 p.m.
- A special military-themed crowd cameo photo display will appear on the video board during the game. Photos can be submitted by email to email@example.com.
- Athletics and Under Armour launched a retail line of military-themed merchandise. Ten percent of the sales will go to The Boot Campaign. Click here to see the gear available online. http://www.aufanshop.com/
* Show Some Pigskin: An Illustrated Guide to Auburn’s Playboy All-Americans
* Auburn-educated astronaut wanted ‘War Eagle’ to be first words on the moon
* Auburn’s Legend of Zelda
* That time they burned the Glom
* Auburn’s 1960 cheesecake schedule
* I think of Kurt Crain
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Want to advertise?