Jimmy Brandt is keeping the gloves. And the sleeves. But starting Oct. 6, the helmet that Chris Davis wore during the 2013 Iron Bowl, that protected his holy head during arguably the greatest play in college football history, is up for grabs.
Brandt, a 2003 Auburn grad who lives in Birmingham, says he acquired several pieces of Davis’ Auburn uniform “directly from Chris” after the 2013 football season. And the best one of all he’s putting up for auction.
“We’re starting with a modest opening bid of $5,000,” Ken Goldin, whose company is handling the auction, told ESPN’s Darren Rovell. “We’re expecting anywhere from between $25,000 to even approaching six figures.”
Brandt mainly collects “MLB game-used bats from 3,000 hit club members,” but has acquired other notable pieces of Auburn memorabilia.
“I have Carlos Rogers’ game-used jersey from the 2004 Iron Bowl and an end zone pylon from when we rushed the field after beating Florida in 2001 when I was a student,” he says.
Neither come close to The Helmet.
“That helmet really is a piece of history,” Brandt says. “One play, one second, an instant legend. I hate letting it go… but I still have the gloves.”
Photos courtesy Jimmy Brandt.
If you’d like to help TWER keep on keepin’ on, click here.
* Twelve years later, Syracuse sports writer who was ‘Changed Forever’ by Auburn gameday experience reflects on his most popular column ever
* ‘Jeopardy’ contestant whose ‘Cheers’-referencing final response went viral wishes she’d written ‘War Eagle’
* Recent Auburn grad featured in ABC News segment on professional Viners
* Fore Eagle! Auburn fan Zach Manning describes the moment he found Rory McIlroy’s tee shot in his shorts pocket
* Teen who poured her Auburn soul out after wisdom teeth extraction recovering nicely, dishes dirt on Dayton
* What was the probability of an Auburn win before each snap of the 2013 Iron Bowl? Now we know.