The third-annual Birmingham Fashion Week is pretty much guaranteed to be the best ever: Four of the sixteen semi-finalists selected for the Emerging Designer competition are Auburn students.
Lindsey Gilchrist, Kailey Smith, Anna Kay Winford and Sarah Winford have been creating four separate looks—one of which will be displayed at the Saks Fifth Avenue kickoff on Tuesday, Feb. 26 at 6:30 p.m.
“This year, the public can see the designs up close on mannequins at Saks a week before (the kickoff),” said Jeana Lee Fleming, co-founder of BFW. “It’s great to see their creations, workmanship and the materials that they use.”
Kailey Smith, junior in apparel design, said her four looks of deeps reds, pinks and grays are made to portray a vintage, romantic feel.
The rest of their designs will be shown either Thursday, Feb. 28, or Friday, March 1, at the Emerging Designer runway shows, and a finale show on Saturday, March 2, will announce winners and conclude BFW.
The 2013 Emerging Designer winner will receive a spot for the BFW 2014 runway show, a television appearance, editorial and cash prize.
For more details and a full schedule of events, visit their website.
* Auburn grads start the Netflix of neckties
* The Bo Jackson of Bo Jackson collections
* The Auburn Tiger (at the Birmingham Zoo)
* Auburn Playboy shoot at Chewacla during power outage
* Glee star Naya Rivera wears Auburn shirt in FHM photo shoot
* The Delta Chi Miss Hot Pants pageant
* Bjork wrote a song about Auburn’s “Hey Day”
* Auburn coeds at the Rodeo