We can’t find Amir Eshel’s name in the yearbook or even in Auburn’s alumni directory. But maybe that’s exactly the way he wants it.
On Sunday, Eshel—make that Major-General Amir Eshel—was named as the next chief of the Israel Air Force. According to reports, he’s an Auburn graduate. And technically, he is.
But the reason we had such a hard time verifying that is because he graduated–the Auburn Alumni Association has him down with a 1991 general curriculum degree, not a B.A. in economics–from Auburn University Montgomery, which is apparently THE place to go if you’re a military man headed for the mid east. Auburn Man Dick Marcinko, the founder of the specially trained unit of Navy SEALS that killed Osama Bin Laden, is technically an AUM Man as well.
Reuven Tradburks, a former rabbi at Birmingham’s Knesseth Israel Congregation who currently lives in Israel, told the Birmingham Jewish Federation, “You can say that the University of Alabama has the best ground game, but now Auburn is the best in the air — with the appointment of an Auburn grad as chief of Israel’s air force.”
h/t @FearlessandTrue. Pre-order a TWER shirt by Feb. 19 and get a huge discount—just $10 + free shipping.
* Streaking at Auburn, 1974
* Drew Carey’s thoughts on Auburn
* Auburn grad turns old team T-shirts into gameday showstoppers
* Auburn grads start the Netflix of neckties
* The Bo Jackson of Bo Jackson collections
* Auburn Playboy shoot at Chewacla during power outage
* Glee star Naya Rivera wears Auburn shirt in FHM photo shoot
* The Delta Chi Miss Hot Pants pageant
* Bjork wrote a song about Auburn’s “Hey Day”
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Want to advertise
Don’t forget the sea:
Or all of the astronauts (Mattingly, Williams, Hartsfield, Voss, Davis and Thornton say hello).
Or the satellite designers: