Best of luck, Mike. It seems this might have been one of the last carries in Mike Dyer’s storied Auburn career.
Dyer, who broke Bo Jackson’s freshman rushing record and slid into the vaunted top 10 of rushing at Auburn in just two years, is reportedly taking his ball and going … somewhere. Rumors have become tangible fact according to the latest word from Phillip Marshall, who says Arkansas State reportedly remains on Dyer’s radar.
With the BCS MVP packing his things, Auburn will look to Onterio McCalebb (who is pondering the NFL), Tre Mason, Mike Blakely (who redshirted this year) and Corey Grant (who sat out a transfer penalty this year) to pick up the slack. Also in the pipeline is ESPN’s four star recruit Jovon Robinson, who is a verbal commit out of Memphis.
It really would have been an embarrassment of riches if Dyer had decided to stay at Auburn. The guys who are staying in blue, though, will be running behind an offensive line that has had a year to gel and a new offensive coordinator to be named later, of course.
And while the No-Whistle Missile is leaving town after a team suspension and amid a great many rumors, we’ll wish him well.
We’ll always have Glendale.
* “My wife was the Auburn Tiger.”
* Dr. Dre’s Auburn hat
* LSU girls love Auburn men, says HBO’s Treme
* Auburn fan selling Toomer’s Corner toilet paper for Tuscaloosa relief
* Toomer’s Oaks sapling to be planted on Capitol lawn
* Coeds. Watermelons. 1973.
* How Bama remembers “Punt, Bama, Punt”
* Charles Barkley avoiding the Noid, 1981
* Nikki Cox, Auburn fan
* Cam Newton’s portrait hanging in GQ lobby