Montgomery-native and Auburn grad (’94) Octavia Spencer was nominated for an Oscar this morning for her critically acclaimed performance as a maid in Civil Rights-era Mississippi in the 2011 film “The Help.”
Our chances of landing that TWER interview grow slimmer by the day.
The Oscar nod for “Best Actress in a Supporting Role” was kind of fait accompli given recent award season trends; Spencer won a Golden Globes Award for “Best Supporting Actress” just last week (watch her acceptance speech here). She’ll be going up against Melissa McCarthy (“Bridesmaids”—Gilmore Girls represent), Janet McTeerand (“Albert Nobs”), Berenice Bejo (“The Artist”) and her co-star in “The Help,” Jessica Chastain.
The 84th Academy Awards show will be presented Sunday, Feb. 26 at Hollywood’s Kodak Theater.
* Bjork wrote a song about Auburn’s “Hey Day”
* Auburn coeds at the Rodeo
* Crazy Auburn mural at Firehouse subs
* Auburn Playboy shoot at Chewacla during power outage
* Glee star Naya Rivera wears Auburn shirt in FHM photo shoot
* Gene Chizik in high school
* Gene Chizik makes his own gigawatts