We report that Sewell Hall is one of three venerable university buildings slated for summer demolition with great sadness… mainly because the slow extinction of 1960s circular brick lattice facades in this town is a crime (aesthetically) on par with oak poisoning (looking at you, Baptist Student Union).
Sewell, named after Roy B. Sewell, one of Auburn’s most ballin’, fight song-commissioning boosters of all time, served as Auburn’s athletic dorm (until the NCAA nixed the whole athletic dorm thing back in 1991), and continues to serve as starting line for Tiger Walk.
So yeah, this is just a post of photos (some artistically manipulated to account for the book’s seam) from Sewell’s glory days taken from a recruiting booklet published by Auburn’s Athletic Department and given out to high school football players in 1985…
… which is us paying tribute to the once home of our heroes the best way we know how. (If you’d like to help us put some names to the faces of these heroes, that would be fine.)
* Erin Andrews at Toomer’s Corner
* In the time of “Got 13″ she was a Tiger
* Was Walt Disney an Auburn fan?
* Behind the scenes of the NYC AU Club’s Heisman Tiger Walk
* Auburn coed is internet icon
* The Secret History of an Underground Iron Bowl
* Auburn alumna in Philippines will watch BCSCG in style
* Young Bartley meets David Housel for breakfast
* Montgomery Business that de-toilet papers Toomer’s busier than ever
* Under Armour congratulates Cam Newton with full-page ad
* Auburn’s Miss Universe contestant, Audrey Moore
* Auburn amputee has tiger-striped prosthetic legs
* Harry Connick Jr. — Auburn Man?
Follow us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Spent my first year of college at Sewell. So many memories… Steak night and the Blue Bell ice cream bar will not be forgotten.
Here’s my guess (playing cards L-R): Tommy Powell, Bobby Waldon, Russ Carraker(sp), Kevin Porter?
Buffet Line: Tommy Powell
Eating: Alvin Mitchell?, Scott Bolton
Tigerette Laura says
This makes me sad! I certainly enjoyed many Saturday lunches in the Sewell Hall dining room!
A watermelon pic? Really?
Great..I have to find a new place to pee during baseball games.
Sad day when Sewell will be destroyed. Lived there my first year at Auburn. Much like Everett said, steak night was a staple in my diet and I watched many an Auburn baseball game from the roof.
I think Gold coast Tiger is correct.
Oh and it is time to bring back athletic dorms. Really one of the more dumbassed moves by the NCAA.