Gus Malzahn is leaving Auburn to become head coach at Arkansas State. News of the hire broke last night. Malzahn is expected to be announced as the Red Wolves head coach today at a 3:30 p.m. press conference.
But he isn’t through with Auburn just yet. Gene Chizik confirmed this morning that Malzahn will stay on to coach the Tigers offense in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
“I’m very happy for Gus and the opportunity that awaits him at Arkansas State,” Chizik said in a just-released statement to the media. “Gus has always had the strong desire to become a head coach and the chance for him to return to his home state that he is so familiar with, will be very beneficial. He’s meant a tremendous amount to our program the past three years, helping our offense and our program achieve unprecedented heights, winning a BCS National Championship and setting countless offensive records. Gus has experienced success in each stop of his coaching career and I have no doubt that he will have similar results at Arkansas State. We look forward to having Gus stay with us through the bowl game and hope to send him out with a victory.”
* Auburn and Virginia have ‘colorful’ history
* Auburn coeds at the Rodeo
* Crazy Auburn mural at Firehouse subs
* Auburn Playboy shoot at Chewacla during power outage
* Glee star Naya Rivera wears Auburn shirt in FHM photo shoot
* Gene Chizik in high school
* Auburn’s Miss America needs you
* John Travolta in an Auburn shirt
* Auburn grad stars in new National Geographic reality show