The Oregon Ducks can have Sebastien Bach’s power-ballad. We’ve got Ricky Frazier’s incredible “Auburn Tiger Cheerleader”.
Frazier is a struggling but stylish singer / songwriter from Muscle Shoals (according to his MySpace profile) who apparently – but understandably – appraises his sweethearts based on their (orange and blue) pom-pom-shaking potential.
At first, we thought this might have been a lost classic of Auburn Spirit from the early 80s – something like this – rescued from the rotting Shasta box bulk-bins of an Alabaster thrift store and MP3’d for posterity. The video’s psychedelic, Olan Mills art house production (especially like the random UNA parade in flames) certainly lends itself to such a theory. But is it possible we could have not known about something this awesome (and could 45-year-old Frazier have made it as a teenager) for that long?
No, of course not – and after looking closer, we found a very modern dedication in the YouTube liner notes:
“FOR THA TEAM THAT IS ABOUT TO MAKE HISTORY AND SET AN EXAMPLE FOR THA STATE OF ALABAMA AND THA FAN’S WHO’VE CHEERED THEM ON GO WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!”
… and of course, for all the Auburn Cheerleaders in our lives.
War Eagle, Ricky — this is awesome.
* Bo Jackson vs. Clark Kent
* Dean Foy discusses the lewdness of youth
* Fear and Loathing in Tuscaloosa
* Jimmy Buffett Sang: Let’s Get Drunk and Screw (Up My 1st Year at Auburn)
* Former Auburn cheerleader stars in ‘Best Worst Movie’
* Auburn’s Miss Universe contestant, Audrey Moore
* Auburn amputee has tiger-striped prosthetic legs
* Two campy degrees of separation ‘twixt Auburn and Swamp Thing
If you’d like to help TWER keep the lights on and the obsession with Auburn lore unhealthy through the winter, click here.