“I’m not supposed to talk about the officiating,” the Ol’ Ball Coach told Mick Hubert, the Florida Football Highlights guy. But he did. There were actually several calls Spurrier took issue with in Auburn’s glorious 1993 upset of the Gators. But the one that really stuck in his craw was a late hit call after Frank Sanders and Florida safety Lawrence Wright (I think) “sorta collide outta bounds”.
“That’s awful close there.” Maybe by 1993 standards. Rightly or wrongly, dude would probably be ejected or something today.
A year later, he knew it wasn’t luck. It wasn’t bad calls.
“I got to give Auburn credit—I think maybe they’re a little bit better team than we’re all givin’ them credit for being,” Spurrier told Mick.
“They keep throwin’ it up for Frankie Sanders, No. 81. He’s made a lot of big catches for’em the last couple of years, and he made another one on us.”
“Well, Mick, you gotta admit it: They outplayed us, out-coached us, out-hit us, out-hustled us…. you gotta give Auburn credit, they’ve won them all.”
Early ’90s Fun fact: The Florida’s On Their Way To Losing music is the same as the Auburn’s On Their Way To Winning song. Listen for it.
h/t Auburn Obsessive.
Related: Remembering Spurrier to Beasley.
If you’d like to help TWER keep on keepin’ on, please click here.
* The original capacity of Auburn’s Jordan-Hare Stadium was twice as much as everyone says
* Cast member not allowed to wear Auburn shirt on History Channel’s ‘Bamazon’
* ‘Jeopardy’ contestant whose ‘Cheers’-referencing final response went viral wishes she’d written ‘War Eagle’
* Recent Auburn grad featured in ABC News segment on professional Viners
* Auburn’s first nude model tells all
* George Hardy won’t let you piss on Cam Newton