How many national Coach of the Year Award’s will Guys Malzahn for engineering a turnaround that matches the biggest in college football history? We now know at least one.
The Home Depot Coach of the Year Award will be presented to Malzahn as a part of The Home Depot College Football Awards on Thursday, Dec. 12, at 7 p.m. ET, on ESPN.
In his first season as Auburn head coach, Malzahn led the Tigers to a 12-1 season and a berth in the VIZIO BCS National Championship against Florida State on Jan. 6 on ESPN. With a 3-9 record a year ago without Malzahn, Auburn already has improved its win total by nine games this season, best among all FBS teams. Beating FSU would make Auburn’s improvement the best in FBS history. Malzahn is only the second first-year head coach to lead his team to the national championship game (Larry Coker in 2001, Miami (Fla.)).
Malzahn was named SEC Coach of the Year earlier this week. By beating Missouri, Malzahn is the only first-year head coach to win an SEC Championship in the 22-year history of the title game. He is the third coach in SEC history, and first in 66 years, to win an SEC title in his first year at a school, joining Bernie Moore at LSU in 1935 and John Vaught at Ole Miss in 1947.
* Iron Bowl column sets readership record for Stanford student newspaper
* ‘Holy crap what have I done!’ Auburn fan who stole Gus Malzahn’s visor issues apology, wants to return the hat
* Cremated remains found in Jordan-Hare Stadium after Iron Bowl
* Cam Newton ‘War Eagles’ throughout his post-game press conference Sunday after Iron Bowl
* New York Post: Iron Bowl ending ‘greatest in the history of sports’
* Pensacola bridge completely covered in Auburn graffiti after Iron Bowl
* Highlights, Iron Bowl, Highlights
* Watch Rod Bramblett, Stan White and the Auburn radio broadcast booth react to the final play
* Hear Rod and Eli back to back
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Want to advertise? Spare a dollar?