It’s not a new view for Edna Fellows Christmas. Edna is 100 years old. She has the Toomer’s Oaks beat by 25 years. She’s seen the corner oak-less before. She hated to see it become that way again. But she wanted to be there when it happened. She insisted.
Christmas woke her daughter up at 5 a.m. and made her take her to Toomer’s Corner. She put on her Aubie sweatshirt and her oak tree pendant necklace. They got there 40 minutes later. Her daughter rolled her to a spot near Biggin Hall. She watched.
“I hated it for the trees to stay, as bad as they look. But I hated to see them cut down, too,” said Christmas, whose been an Auburn fan for 50 years. “I hope it’s going to be fixed where it’s pretty again.”
“War Eagle,” Edna said.
More on the the Toomer’s Oaks:
* That tree in the old picture of Toomer’s Corner is not one of the Toomer’s Oaks
* Toomer’s Corner rollings didn’t start with Punt, Bama, Punt, says History
* Did Auburn students celebrate Bear Bryant’s death by rolling Toomer’s Corner?
* Auburn unveils new plans for Toomer’s Corner
* Incredible video of the final rolling of the Toomer’s Oaks shot from a drone
* What Auburn thought about Toomer’s toilet paper removal in 1979
* Auburn Creed written on toilet paper hanging from Toomer’s Oaks after final rolling