Workshops and more workshops and polls and wires and robots and finally, here it is: Toomer’s 2.0.
The trees we knew about. The big news? They’re not only keeping the 1917 gates, they’re not even moving them.
From AU’s press release:
Officials said the new design will place trees farther back from the intersection; maintain the existing and historic character of the corner; retain the 1917 gates in their current positions; add more seating and shaded areas; and include the planting of additional trees along a curved walkway through Samford Park.
We’re be posting video of the presentation soon.
The current timeline has the new corner being completed by the 2014 football season.
As TWER first reported in March, the university and city will create a temporary, triangular wire structure which fans can roll after the Toomer’s Oaks are removed.
More on the the Toomer’s Oaks: That tree in the old picture of Toomer’s Corner is not one of the Toomer’s Oaks / Toomer’s Corner rollings didn’t start with Punt, Bama, Punt, says History / Did Auburn students celebrate Bear Bryant’s death by rolling Toomer’s Corner?
* Auburn grad pays tribute to Toomer’s Oaks with giant back tattoo
* Auburn’s 70s Super Fan
* Selena Roberts, Auburn student journalist
* Apple CEO Tim Cook huge Auburn fan even in high school
* Shug Jordan’s houndstooth hat is prized possession of former Auburn coed who caught it after ’69 Iron Bowl, claims it predates Bear’s
* That time David Housel punked the SEC with fake recruits