I don’t know if it’s because I love Phil Neel’s stuff, or if it’s why I love Phil Neel’s stuff, but the cover of the program for the 1961 Auburn-Wake Forest game—one of my favorites—just looks and feels like what the cover of the 1961 Auburn-Wake Forest game* should look like. I think it’s why. “Whatever,” I said to my self. “Just Phil the Neel, baby.”
Here it all is, at least Auburn program cover-wise, for 1961.View post
* And I think we have to allow it to inform our verdict on whether it’s possible for Aubie to truly lead a Christian life—I mean, dude is about to eat a deacon.
Covers courtesy Clyde Kingry. You can check out our growing Phil Neel archives here.
If you’d like to help TWER keep the lights on and the obsession with Auburn lore unhealthy, please click here.
* Show Some Pigskin: An Illustrated Guide to Auburn’s Playboy All-Americans
* Auburn-educated astronaut wanted ‘War Eagle’ to be first words on the moon
* Smithsonian Magazine photographs kid in Auburn hat at Texas prom
* The WiFi Network Names of Auburn
* Auburn’s Legend of Zelda
* That time they burned the Glom
* Auburn’s 1960 cheesecake schedule
* Pat Dye would have killed Jerry Sandusky