Aubie has a posse, and last night it orchestrated a covert street art (literally) campaign, refreshing the fading tiger paws on Donahue Drive and at the intersection of College and Magnolia as is their habit.
Banksy, eat your heart out.
* Auburn’s Heisman-posing gymnast says getting Bama fans to boo was the whole idea
* Pat Dye on Faulker, Bo Jackson’s sex life, David and Goliath and other topics
* Recent Auburn grad fighting porn star, others for Charlie Sheen’s affection
* New Jersey man buys Toomer’s Corner for $10,000
* Bama pays professional boxers to beat Auburn for the first time
* War Eagle IV attacks Florida player, Auburn penalized 15 yards
* The Great Bo Jackson A-Day Race of 1984
* Actor named Auburn can’t get gig going by his first name
* Man in Auburn shirt spotted helping Japan dig out
* Ronald Reagan was an Auburn fan
* That time Green Day played an Auburn house show
* Fantastic photos of Bjork inside Jordan-Hare Stadium
* The story behind Auburn’s contributions to the 1989 “Girls of the SEC” Playboy pictorial
I have great memories of doing this in 2002-2003.
Will Collier says
The very first time this was done was in the middle of the night back in 1989, when the paw-painting crew that normally painted tracks from the I-85 offramp to College Street took things a step further by adding the giant print at Toomer’s Corner. Then-mayor Jan Dempsey was not amused, and the city cops arrested most of the painting crew.. One of my roommates got called out well after midnight to bail out a couple of our fraternity brothers (one of whom was the chapter president) who were among the instigators.
Dempsey had to back off when it was immediately obvious that everybody else in town loved the giant paw; all charges were dropped in short order. The big paw has been there ever since.