A sapling from the Toomer’s oak trees will be planted on the lawn of the U.S. Capitol.
It just won’t be tomorrow.
A planting ceremony planned by Congressman Dennis Ross (R-FL), a 1981 Auburn graduate, to coincide with the Auburn football team’s now canceled trip to the White House has been delayed “probably until next week,” said Ross’ Chief of Staff Fred Piccolo.
“We’ve been working on it about two months trying to see if the Architect of the Capitol would give his OK to plant a Toomer’s oak,” Piccolo said. “He recently gave his authorization.”
The plan may have had some inside help; David Ferguson, the Chief Administrative Officer for the Architect of the Capitol, graduated from Auburn in 1974. Picollo said Ferguson personally received the sapling when it arrived at Dulles International Airport last Friday.
“We were going to have a little ceremony with people digging the shovels in and that good stuff,” Piccolo said “I’m not sure if there will be a marker or plaque, but if there isn’t I know the congressman would like to put one there.”
Piccolo said the three-foot tree will likely be planted on the Capitol’s south lawn.
* Pine Hill Haints release song from new album to honor Toomer’s
* Outkast lasts forever
* Did Auburn student’s roll Toomer’s Corner after Bear Bryant died?
* TWER interviews Stephen Enloe, the Emotional Agronomist
* Bama police keep vigil over Bear Bryant statue
* Dean Foy discusses the lewdness of youth
* Fear and Loathing in Tuscaloosa
* Jimmy Buffett Sang: Let’s Get Drunk and Screw (Up My 1st Year at Auburn)
* Former Auburn cheerleader stars in ‘Best Worst Movie’
* Auburn’s Miss Universe contestant, Audrey Moore
* Auburn amputee has tiger-striped prosthetic legs
* Mates of State’s Jason Hammel talks football
* Pat Dye responds to ‘loudmouth’ allegations from 1959
Does Ross look like Ted Roof or what?!?
L Grossman says
Auburn Elvis says
Hey! That was my idea! I suggested that to the Toomer’s Oak Facebook page after the poisoning story broke and they said they’d look into it.