The Auburn gymnastics team got its first win of the season Friday night against No. 25 LSU (despite LSU’s “Power Circle” – “C’mon, Shell!”). It was the team’s first meet at Auburn Arena, and the first win for new coach Jeff Graba.
Auburn and LSU were tied after one event, but the Bengal Tigers took a lead halfway through the meet. Auburn, which began the season ranked 15th, pulled away in their final two rotations on the beam and floor. Petrina Yokay, a sophomore, won the all-around with 38.750.
But some of the loudest applause of the night came for senior Rachel Inniss; how do you get a crowd of 4,190 Auburn fans on their feet? You perform to an instrumental version of “All I Do is Win.”
And you strike a Heisman pose during your floor routine.
“The crowd was great,” said Inniss, who’s 9.900 score was enough to win the floor, an event Auburn swept. “They were nice and loud for us. It was awesome.”
The Tigers return to action at the arena on January 28th against Arkansas.
Here are more shots from Friday night (and you can find a video recap of the meet, including footage of Inniss’ routine, here).
This was the first time the Tigers chalked up at home this season.
The answer to a trivia question no one will ever ask: Who had the first routine for the gymnastics team in Auburn Arena? Allyson Sandusky. She also won the beam routine in the Arena opener.
Kendall Swartz scored a 9.750 on bars, putting her at fourth in the meet.
Lauren Brzostowski’s 9.800 was good for second on the beam, behind her teammate Allyson Sandusky.
Laura Lane’s 9.750 was good for third overall on the floor.
* Some Auburn fans less than thrilled with Coaches’ Trophy tour
* Former Auburn cheerleader competing in new season of ‘Survivor’
* Three-hour delay turns flight to Phoenix into Auburn pep rally
* ‘Cammy Koozie’s’ fund family’s trip to Glendale
* An interview with Auburn YouTube sensation Chris Lowe
* Former Auburn football kills elephant with just a bow and arrow
* TWER interviews Paul Finebaum about Bo Jackson’s Heisman campaign
* Crowd shots from the 1973 Auburn-Florida game
* The Secret History of an Underground Iron Bowl
* Auburn alumna in Philippines will watch BCSCG in style
* VIDEO: What if the airport heckler got a do over?