Pat Dye was introduced to Auburn fans on Jan. 10, 1981, at the Auburn-Florida basketball game in Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum. We have an eight-second clip of it. The video is silent, but the place was loud. Dye got a standing ovation. He said that encouraged him.
Three years later, Auburn won the national championship.
(Can’t see the video? Try here.)
Here’s a great picture of his family taken a few months later.
If you’d like to help TWER keep on keepin’ on, click here.
* Georgia company was selling actual manure for fans to send to AP and UPI voters who didn’t rank the Tigers No. 1 for 1983
* Bama wins its first national championship four years after Auburn won its first national championship
* Terry Bowden tells TWER Auburn has right to claim 1993 national championship
* Auburn fan tells the AP to kiss his grits
* ‘My national championship for Auburn in 1913 is a very valid national championship,’ Richard Billingsley tells TWER
* Rational Champions
* Auburn media guides have been ‘acknowledging’ national championships for 1913, 1983, 1993, 2004 teams for years