Myself, I stood up and shouted Heisman during his first long touchdown jog in the 2010 season opener against Arkansas State. But the South Carolina game three weeks later—that’s what really delivered those Cam Newton Is a Heisman Candidate optics. That five-yard, just-in-case dive at the end of his, like, 60-yard touchdown run understandably dominated most of the highlights in ESPN’s College Football Final, eliciting a helmet sticker from Mark May and high praise from Dr. Lou.
“I think you have to put him in the Heisman race,” Holtz said. “I know it’s early, but what this young man has done for Auburn is absolutely fantastic.”
Also making the reel: South Carolina’s Brian Maddox going full Langner and just straight up kicking T’Sharvan Bell in the face, and a familiar looking touchdown toss to Philip Lutzenkirchen (“Achtung!”)…
(Video: Auburn Obsessive. Can’t see it? Try here.)
Related: Lauren Graham, Craig T. Nelson watch, discuss 2006 Auburn-South Carolina game in episode of ‘Parenthood’.
If you’d like to help TWER keep on keepin’ on, please click here.
* Auburn in ‘Hoarders: Buried Alive’
* Meet the sexy Auburn grad student in ‘House’
* Cast member not allowed to wear Auburn shirt on History Channel’s ‘Bamazon’
* ‘Jeopardy’ contestant whose ‘Cheers’-referencing final response went viral wishes she’d written ‘War Eagle’
* Recent Auburn grad featured in ABC News segment on professional Viners
* Fore Eagle! Auburn fan Zach Manning describes the moment he found Rory McIlroy’s tee shot in his shorts pocket
* Teen who poured her Auburn soul out after wisdom teeth extraction recovering nicely, dishes dirt on Dayton
* Auburn coaches lose it after beating Florida State in 1990
* Three fun plays you never see in highlights from the 1994 Auburn-Florida game
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Want to advertise? Spare a dollar?
I am I the only one that noticed the interlocking AU on the helmet on the ESPN set back then was grossly undersized?