UPDATE: It’s definitely 1986. In fact, the reason Sammy says it’s the 25th is because it actually was the 25th, October 25th, the actual date of Auburn’s 35-6 blowout of Mississippi State. But according to SNL historian @AUChizad, the episode was preempted by Game 6 of the 1986 World Series and didn’t air until two weeks later.
At least it’s probably 1986. That’s when Kevin Nealon and Dana Carvey debuted their “Two Sammies” sketch, and in 1986 it actually was “Auburn at Mississippi State” on the 25th (October 25th to be exact), just like Carvey’s Sammy tells Nealon’s Sammy after checking the TV schedule in the paper. But seeing as how the 1980s were (save for the 1910s) Auburn’s most dominant decade in its long history of domination over Mississippi State, it really could be any season between 1986 and 1990, the last season all four of the cast members who appeared in the sketch (Nealon, Carvey, Phil Hartman and Nora Dunn) were still on the show. All were Auburn wins. All were beautifuuuullll…
(Can’t see the video? Try here.)
So why the Auburn-Mississippi State game? Five bucks says it has something to do with the cute new cast member whose “only fun experiences… in college were at Auburn.“
You can watch the whole sketch here.
More MSU stuff:
* Mississippi State fan sues Auburn, SEC over confiscated cowbell; calls rule ‘unconstitutional’
* Shug: ‘The cowbells have no place in college football’
* That time Mississippi State accused Auburn punter Terry Daniel of filling footballs with helium
If you’d like to help TWER keep on keepin’ on, click here.
* ‘Did you say LSU or LS-PEW?’ Katy Perry uses corn dogs to pick Auburn over LSU in bizarre ESPN GameDay appearance
* Twelve years later, Syracuse sports writer who was ‘Changed Forever’ by Auburn gameday experience reflects on his most popular column ever
* ‘Jeopardy’ contestant whose ‘Cheers’-referencing final response went viral wishes she’d written ‘War Eagle’
* Recent Auburn grad featured in ABC News segment on professional Viners
* Fore Eagle! Auburn fan Zach Manning describes the moment he found Rory McIlroy’s tee shot in his shorts pocket
* Teen who poured her Auburn soul out after wisdom teeth extraction recovering nicely, dishes dirt on Dayton
* What was the probability of an Auburn win before each snap of the 2013 Iron Bowl? Now we know.