Another day, another Auburn fan receiving the Medal of Honor.
In March, it was Auburn shirt-wearing Lance Cpl. Kyle Carpenter, USMC, who in 2010 put himself between a fellow Marine and a Taliban hand grenade. On Monday it was Army Command Sgt. Maj. Bennie G. Adkins, a former Green Beret who before graduating from Troy and opening an accounting firm in Auburn dragged wounded comrades through enemy fire during an 86 hour battle along the Ho Chi Minh trail. After killing 150 or so Viet Cong soldiers, Adkins fended off an actual tiger, so “maybe it’s no small coincidence,” Fox News’ Trace Gallagher told Megyn Kelly during Monday night’s episode of The Kelly File, “that he loves the Auburn Tigers to this day.” (Can’t see the video? Try here.)
Gallagher wasn’t the only one to make special mention of where Adkins’ football loyalties lie.
“He’s living outside Auburn, and yes he is a fan of the Auburn Tigers,” President Obama told those gathered at the White House Monday for Medal of Honor ceremony, “although I did a poll of the family and there are some Crimson Tide fans here, so there are obviously some divisions.” (Can’t see the video? Try here.)
You can watch the whole ceremony here.
Related: The War Eagle Jeep in Vietnam.
* Auburn grad in Auburn shirt leads ‘The Price Is Right’ audience in ‘War Eagle’, wins car
* Bo knows Jesus
* What legendary FSU AD John Bridgers had to do during practice when he played for Auburn in the early 40s
* The great Samford Tower Mickey Mouse clock caper of 1977
* Fore Eagle! Auburn fan Zach Manning describes the moment he found Rory McIlroy’s tee shot in his shorts pocket
* Teen who poured her Auburn soul out after wisdom teeth extraction recovering nicely, dishes dirt on Dayton
* ‘Looks like he’s gotten a little faster’: Jake Longenecker’s former high school coach proud of Auburn ball boy’s newfound fame
* Auburn-educated astronaut wanted ‘War Eagle’ to be first words on the moon
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Want to advertise? Spare a dollar?