They lined up diagonally across the length of the indoor practice facility. They were two and three and four and five deep on either side of the path the players would take. The team, fresh off a plane and then a bus, walked through the crowd, looking a bit tired, but there was plenty of enthusiasm in the air.
Jay Jacobs greeted the hundreds in attendance, joking it was cold outside, but warm with so much family around.
He spoke directly to the players in front of him, saying “This is truly what the Auburn Family means. The Auburn Family sticks together and they’re here to support you. As you go through life you’ll count on this family more and more.”
He noted, in case anyone lost count, “In the last 10 years no one has won more SEC championships than the Auburn football program.”
Related: The Team of Second Chances.
* George Wallace trading insults with hippies at Toomer’s Corner
* ‘A Momma Goldberg’s menu from 1979
* What Auburn thought about Toomer’s toilet paper removal in 1979
* Florida State fraternity pledges caught attempting unspeakable initiation rite at Auburn dorm
* That time Auburn majorettes tried to get fans to streak at A-Day
* Congrats Auburn fans—you survived an earthquake
* ‘One of the smartest f***ing minds in football’
* Watch Pat Dye lick sugar off of a football
* The play that saved Auburn football
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Want to advertise? Spare a dollar?