Another celebrity in an early 80s Auburn T-shirt. Or at least that looks like an early 80s Auburn T-Shirt. I suppose it’s possible that it’s a (very well done) faux vintage reproduction; it looks as if the seal reads “Alabama Polytechnic Institute,” which once you move past the actual API years is much more typical of post-millennial embrace-our-roots wear. But whatever, it’s an Auburn shirt nonetheless.
The bigger question: Did Andy Warhol take this photo? Sure, he died in 1987. And this easily looks like it could have been yesterday. But art provenance is tricky business. You never know. The Jule Collins Smith Museum of Art should probably go ahead and buy it, too, just in case.
Photo via Lin Wormley.
* Auburn art museum places winning bid on amazing Warhol photo of John Oates in an Auburn shirt
* Auburn grads start the Netflix of neckties
* Bjork wrote a song about Auburn’s “Hey Day”
* John Travolta in an Auburn shirt
* Auburn’s Legend of Zelda
* Pat Sullivan orders a “Wishbone T” on Bob Hope
* “Cougar Town” star gets Glom’ed
* Auburn-educated astronaut wanted ‘War Eagle’ to be first words on the moon