Jim Fyffe was the greatest, which is to take nothing away from Rod, who, Lord knows, is padding that portfolio himself these days (whew!). But Fyffe could put you there, even when there wasn’t a football field, even when he was just telling a story.
Take this tidbit from that Twenty Years of Great Calls tape the Auburn Network put out 10 or so years ago. It’s Pat Dye’s second year at Auburn and Jim is still feelin’ Coach out, learnin’ his moods and mannerisms, and he’s sitting across from Coach one day in the week leading up to the ’82 Iron Bowl and they’re talking about the game, or as Dye predicted it’d be, the bloodlettin’…
* Watch Pat Dye lick sugar off a football
* Best Auburn majorette name ever?
* Cam Newton on a Segway
* The Thing That Ate Auburn
* The truth behind the Auburn-LSU ‘Earthquake Game’
* Pat Dye maybe would have killed Jerry Sandusky