We’re currently trying to pin down from where and whence Shug’s marquee (as it were) David and Goliath quote originated. (If you want to help, it actually reads: “I guess David was about a 40-point underdog in that match. But Goliath ended up on his backside. So you see, anything can happen.”) But here’s legendary Plainsman cartoonist Bill Holbrook’s take on the Biblical trope as it was applied to the 1978 Iron Bowl.
Like Jimmy Johnson’s comic from ’73, feels extra appropriate this year.
Related: Bill Holbrook’s ‘The Thing That Ate Auburn’
More Iron Bowl:
* Yet another parallel between Alabama’s first trip to Jordan-Hare Stadium and their first trip to Jordan-Prayer Stadium
* Auburn fan who ran onto the field during the 1969 Iron Bowl tells all!
* More like the BUST Bama pep rally…
* The Snorg Tees Girl in a 1987 Auburn Iron Bowl victory T-shirt
* This song about the 1969 Iron Bowl is awesome
* A rap about the 1989 Iron Bowl
* Aubie romances early 80s coed on Bear skin rug
* David Housel’s radio address before the 2002 Iron Bowl
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Want to advertise? Spare a dollar?
Leave a Reply