It’s only weird if it doesn’t work—that’s the Bud Light commercial going around, right? About all the wacky superstitious things football fans do or put up with to secure supernatural blessings for their teams? Well, if you’re one of them, a believer, then please forgive the Lawleys from Trussville.
They went over to a friend’s to watch the LSU game. Which meant that no one sat in the 1950s barrel chair that belonged to Jennifer’s grandmother during the game. But I mean, it was still early in the season, so it could have just been coincidence that Auburn won every time someone at their house had been sitting in it. But after the Texas A&M game, they knew it wasn’t. Something special was going on… something special was going on with this chair. So they started taking precautions.
They made sure that someone, whether Jennifer, her husband Jack—both Auburn grads—or a friend or family member or someone was parked in that chair for every game. When a friend invited them over to watch the Georgia game, they said sure—do you have room for an extra 1950s barrel chair? Yep, the Lawley’s packed it up and took it with them.
And they did the same for the Iron Bowl, lugging the lucky charm all the way up to Gatlinburg, where they had Thanksgiving. It’s in the chalet right now, ready to work a miracle.
Respect the chair. CHAIR-ish the chair. It’s only weird if it doesn’t work.
More Iron Bowl:
* Yet another parallel between Alabama’s first trip to Jordan-Hare Stadium and their first trip to Jordan-Prayer Stadium
* Auburn fan who ran onto the field during the 1969 Iron Bowl tells all!
* More like the BUST Bama pep rally…
* The Snorg Tees Girl in a 1987 Auburn Iron Bowl victory T-shirt
* This song about the 1969 Iron Bowl is awesome
* A rap about the 1989 Iron Bowl
* Aubie romances early 80s coed on Bear skin rug
* David Housel’s radio address before the 2002 Iron Bowl
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Want to advertise? Spare a dollar?