Here’s your first look at the now wired Toomer’s Triangle. Early this morning, city workers began stringing the double strand of wires that will keep the tradition of rolling Toomer’s Corner alive for the next few football seasons. They’re not finished—and there’s currently no ETA on they will be—but you get the idea.
The question of whether the wires and poles would be decorated appears to be partially answered. According to this photo, it looks as if the wires will bear Auburn University logos. But according to City of Auburn Director of Public Affairs David Dorton, they’re also functional.
“Those will kind of space the wires to give you kind of a surface or a structure for the toilet paper to sit on more than just one wire,” Dorton says. “Hopefully they’ll help some hold some paper as well.”
More on Toomer’s Corner: Dozens of Toomer’s Oaks shoots sprouting in planter closest to Magnolia Ave. / Toomer’s Corner rollings didn’t start with Punt, Bama, Punt, says History / Did Auburn students celebrate Bear Bryant’s death by rolling Toomer’s Corner?
* Auburn grad pays tribute to Toomer’s Oaks with giant back tattoo
* Auburn’s 70s Super Fan
* Selena Roberts, Auburn student journalist
* Apple CEO Tim Cook huge Auburn fan even in high school
* Shug Jordan’s houndstooth hat is prized possession of former Auburn coed who caught it after ’69 Iron Bowl, claims it predates Bear’s
* That time David Housel punked the SEC with fake recruits