The Toomer’s Oaks were given a base coat of toilet paper Friday night before the final rolling slated for Saturday afternoon, mostly by kids looking to beat the rush.
The young’uns were occasionally allowed to retrieve the stray rolls from behind the barricades, but that’s all.
The oaks are being monitored by security guards on hand to deter souvenir seekers from taking pieces of the trees as keepsakes.
“The university is taking them and cutting them and selling them,” said one of the two guards who will be at Toomer’s Corner until 7 a.m. Saturday. They’ll do the same thing tomorrow night. “They don’t want anybody to take anything,”
Has anyone tried?
“No, they sure haven’t.”
More on the the Toomer’s Oaks: That tree in the old picture of Toomer’s Corner is not one of the Toomer’s Oaks / Toomer’s Corner rollings didn’t start with Punt, Bama, Punt, says History / Did Auburn students celebrate Bear Bryant’s death by rolling Toomer’s Corner?
* Auburn grad pays tribute to Toomer’s Oaks with giant back tattoo
* Auburn’s 70s Super Fan
* Selena Roberts, Auburn student journalist
* Apple CEO Tim Cook huge Auburn fan even in high school
* Shug Jordan’s houndstooth hat is prized possession of former Auburn coed who caught it after ’69 Iron Bowl, claims it predates Bear’s
* That time David Housel punked the SEC with fake recruits