George Petrie is Adam, obviously. John Heisman? Maybe Noah (several schools claim him but call him Gilgamesh, his descendents populate the gridiron). Iron Mike Donahue? Samson, maybe (super strong teams, but weak after being seduced by the harlot of the bayou). Shug is Abraham, the grandfatherly father of the faith. And on this day in 1981, it was announced that the University of Auburn had its Moses (much to the chagrin of Pharaoh Bryant).
Story via the Spartanburg Herald-Journal.
Related: Dye family portrait, 1981.
* The War Eagle fight song sung opera style
* Auburn students vandalize Jacks restaurant ’cause it looked too Bama
* Cam Newton donates his hair to charity
* Bear Bryant’s lost year at Auburn
* The Secret History of Pat Dye Field
* Aubie throws a grenade
* There was a camel at Toomer’s Corner
* The Auburn player who played for Bama… and Busey