It’s nice, really—realizing that Twitter doesn’t reflect reality, that there are normal people out there who obsess not over the facial hair of Auburn football coaches.
Because on Twitter, Brian VanGorder’s appearance was the stuff of legend within an hour, maybe minutes, maybe seconds. But out in the college real world that is the Haley Center concourse, VanGorder’s anachronistic appearance is the stuff of WTF perplexity. Or at least it still was a few weeks after his arrival on the Plains.
Though he’s arguably Auburn’s most distinguishably-featured coach not named Gene Chizik, not a single student interviewed by Eagle Eye News back in January (the segment was recently posted to YouTube) could identify the mustachioed marvel when showed his photo, though many ventured guesses: Uncle Rico, a comedian, Will Ferrell, a basketball coach, “some goofy guy from the 70s”, and our favorite, “Steve.”
When told that the man in the photo was Auburn’s new defensive coordinator, one guy simply replied, “Is that what he looks like right now?”
Related: Brian VanGorder, Magnum D.C.
* Best Auburn tattoo ever
* The giant Bo Jackson billboard in Pretty Woman
* The Bo Jackson of Bo Jackson collections
* Auburn vet saves Lady Hoggers
* The 1973 Delta Chi Miss Hot Pants pageant
* Bjork wrote a song about Auburn’s “Hey Day”
* Crazy Auburn mural at Firehouse subs
* Auburn Playboy shoot at Chewacla during power outage
* Glee star Naya Rivera wears Auburn shirt in FHM photo shoot
* The giant card Tampa Bay fans sent to Bo Jackson
Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Want to advertise?