Last May, he was tapped to continue writing the best-selling Spencer detective novels (as in Spencer for Hire) created by the late Robert B. Parker. Most of Parker’s fans seemed down with it. Some didn’t — an owner of a New York mystery bookstore told the Wall Street Journal that “Ace Atkins is a terrific writer, but he’s not Robert B. Parker.” Legend has it that’s exactly what Danny Wuerffel said before Atkins killed him with a karate chop.
Yesterday, al.com reported (see how easy it is!) that his latest book “The Ranger” received an Edgar Allan Poe Award nomination—yesterday would have been Poe’s 203rd birthday—for “Best Novel” from the Mystery Writers of America. It’s about an Army Ranger whose hometown has become a meth lab. Hello, vigilante justice!
He’ll find out if it won on April 26 in New York City. Here he is talking about it back in June.
We’re still holding out hope for an Otis Mounds historical crime series.
* What’s going to happen to the “CAM” graffiti on the WAR EAGLE wall?
* The Auburn helicopter in Afghanistan
* The Delta Chi Miss Hot Pants pageant
* Bjork wrote a song about Auburn’s “Hey Day”
* Auburn coeds at the Rodeo
* John Travolta in an Auburn shirt
* Auburn Playboy shoot at Chewacla during power outage
* Glee star Naya Rivera wears Auburn shirt in FHM photo shoot
* Can an Auburn fox help Cox rock JOX?
* Playboy in Auburn, 1994