A giant card postmarked Tampa Bay and addressed to the Number One draft pick in the 1986 NFL Draft arrived at Sewell Hall the week of May 12. But its 3,000 signatures were all for naught.
Bo Jackson hated Tampa Bay and blamed Bucs management for costing him his senior season of baseball at Auburn with their “it’s just a physical” junket he was assured had been cleared with the NCAA. It wasn’t. He was declared ineligible. The Auburn dugout lost its Heisman winner.
Tampa Bay told him to stop crying and put on his shoulder pads, he wasn’t good enough to play professional baseball. In “Bo Knows Bo,” Jackson says he told his lawyers to tell the Buccaneers to “go f**k themselves.” Then he signed a contract with the Kansas City Royals.
Photo from the May 16, 1986 edition of The Auburn Plainsman.
Related: Bo Jackson in Japan, 1986.
Go to WarEagleDVD.com and enter TWER as your promo code. You’ll get free shipping… and you’ll help your favorite Auburn website keep the lights on during the long winter.
* ‘Auburn’s fun women and their Rodeo party’
* Auburn jersey spotted in titillating music video
* Jackie Sherrill accuses Auburn of inflating footballs with helium
* Barrett Trotter knows when to hold’em
* Bear Bryant’s lost year at Auburn
* Pat Dye is stuck on Golden Flake
* Five Auburn coeds featured in Playboy’s “Girls of the SEC” issue
* John Travolta in an Auburn shirt
* Auburn grad stars in new National Geographic reality show
* Glee star Naya Rivera wears Auburn shirt in FHM photo shoot