Montgomery native Octavia Spencer, who graduated from Auburn in 1994, was recently nominated for Best Supporting Actress by the Screen Actors Guild (SAG Awards) for her critically acclaimed performance as a maid in Civil Rights-era Mississippi in the 2011 film “The Help.”
Today she got the same treatment from the Hollywood Foreign Press (Golden Globes)—an Outstanding Performance By A Female Actor In A Supporting Role nomination. As I mentioned in my review, Ms. Spencer is phenomenal in “The Help,” and in my mind steals the show.
It actually wouldn’t be surprising to see Spencer nominated (and receive) several other awards, including some for breakthrough performance. She’s a Hollywood veteran having appeared in smaller roles in well-known projects such as TV’s “Ugly Betty” and the 2010 comedy “Dinner for Schmucks,” where she showed off her comedic chops. But her performance as Minny Jackson in “The Help” could very well make her a star.
* Bjork wrote a song about Auburn’s “Hey Day”
* Auburn coeds at the Rodeo
* Crazy Auburn mural at Firehouse subs
* Auburn Playboy shoot at Chewacla during power outage
* Glee star Naya Rivera wears Auburn shirt in FHM photo shoot
* Gene Chizik in high school
* Gene Chizik makes his own gigawatts