It’s the Detroit Nick Fairleys vs. the Carolina Cam Newtons this Sunday—who do we pull for?
For Auburn fans, the game has the potential to produce unprecedented levels of cognitive dissonance. For Nick Fairley, well, it probably won’t be a problem.
“I wasn’t able to touch him,” Fairley said last week of Newton. “But there was times (at Auburn) I got back there and was like, ‘Hey, throw the ball to so and so.’ I would have sacked him.”
Fairley’s rookie NFL season has been less than ideal. He has just two tackles having missed five of the Lions’ first eight games with a fractured foot.
Cam, on the other hand, has remained Cam. Fairley told the Detroit Free Press he wouldn’t have expected anything less.
“I knew the guy, he’s a competitor,” Fairley said. “I knew that when I seen him at Auburn the first day he came on the football field. I said, ‘That guy’s something special.’ So for him to go out there and do that, it wasn’t a surprise to me. I knew it was coming, I just didn’t know it was going to come that quick.”
* Sexiest Auburn cheerleader photo ever?
* Man who turned hoses on Georgia fans in ’86 tells all
* Who put the “amen” in “Amen Corner”?
* The Great Bo Jackson A-Day Race of 1984
* Actor named Auburn can’t get gig going by his first name
* Harvey Updyke gets change of venue… to Takeo’s Court