Politics is one thing. Andrew Seward knows that most every person who digs his band voted for Obama – Rolling Stone doesn’t call you “the definitive punk band of the Bush-Cheney era” for nothing. He knows he can be open about Hope and Change, right, right, right.
But football is something else. People care care about football, even fans of his band — sure, maybe not many in their uber-punk, No Idea Records, no-one-cares hometown of Gainesville (which for the sake of let-me-hurry-up-with-this argument I will imagine as still mostly split along traditional lines of jock vs. punk hostility).
But Andrew grew up in Huntsville. When Against Me! plays the Heart of Dixie, he knows to try to keep his colors neutral.
Still… I’d heard rumors, even thought I heard a “War Eagle” between songs a time or two when his old band Kill Devil Hills played Auburn (and eleven, ten, nine years ago, they played here a lot)… but every out-of-town band goes all when-in-Rome on “Sweet Home Alabama” during sound check, I mean, right? (KDH was from Murphreesboro, by the way- he went to MTSU.)
So I just flat out told him — there was just no way I was going to be able to pick up their latest album, White Crosses, without knowing for certain how he bled, when and if he bled.
Me: So spill – who is it?
Andrew: I’m not pickin’ sides.
Me: Oh, come on… give me an Iron Bowl memory, take a shot at Saban… something!
Andrew: Well, we’ll put it this way… growing up in Huntsville, the people who went to college… all the assholes went to Bama. All my friends went to Auburn.
Me: War Eagle.
* Pat Dye on Faulker, Bo Jackson’s sex life, David and Goliath and other topics
* Recent Auburn grad fighting porn star, others for Charlie Sheen’s affection
* New Jersey man buys Toomer’s Corner for $10,000
* Bama pays professional boxers to beat Auburn for the first time
* War Eagle IV attacks Florida player, Auburn penalized 15 yards
* The Great Bo Jackson A-Day Race of 1984
* Actor named Auburn can’t get gig going by his first name
* Man in Auburn shirt spotted helping Japan dig out
* Ronald Reagan was an Auburn fan
* That time Green Day played an Auburn house show
* Fantastic photos of Bjork inside Jordan-Hare Stadium
* The story behind Auburn’s contributions to the 1989 “Girls of the SEC” Playboy pictorial
Originally posted June 10, 2010.