“I should have won it, not him.”
That’s what Ed Marinaro, a running back for mighty Cornell (and future “Hill Street Blues” star), said during a nationally-televised ABC Sports special that aired just days after Pat Sullivan won the 1971 Heisman Trophy. Marinaro was runner-up. Auburn students felt sorry for him.
They gave him something to make him feel better.
The trophy was displayed at J&M Bookstore for several weeks, and a photo of it was used to introduce the “Honors” section of that year’s Glomerata.
Photo from the 1972 Glomerata.
IT’S PAT SULLIVAN HEISMAN 40TH ANNIVERSARY COMING BACK TO JORDAN-HARE WEEK HERE AT TWER: Read Kenny Smith’s sit-down interview with Super Sully, then listen to the 1971 hit song “The Legend of Pat Sullivan.”
* Bear Bryant, Auburn fan?
* Catching up with Auburn’s former Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue model
* Wonder Woman, Joan from Mad Men, Dr. Girlfriend… all Auburn fans
* Auburn’s first nude model tells all
* George Hardy won’t let you piss on Cam Newton
* Best reaction to being named Miss Homecoming ever
* Shug carves a turkey
* Top American pale ale first brewed in Auburn bathtub