All the hysterics over the poisoned trees at Toomer’s Corner is much ado about $40—one Old Hickory for each oak.
That’s what the latest attorney for Harvey Updyke claimed in court this morning while arguing that the charges against his client be reduced accordingly.
Attorney Everett Wess cited an Alabama statue that places the value of “any cypress, pecan, oak, pine, cedar, poplar, walnut, hickory or wild cherry tree, or sapling of that kind” destroyed by a person other than the consenting “owner of the land” at $20.
That would qualify the charges against Updyke not as a Class C Felony, but as a Class B misdemeanor.
Updyke’s trial is scheduled to start on Halloween.
h/t Evan Woodberry.
UPDATE: The prosecutors respond.
* Five Auburn coeds featured in Playboy’s “Girls of the SEC” issue
* John Travolta in an Auburn shirt
* Auburn cheerleader and “Survivor” contestant Krista Klumpp tells all
* Auburn grad stars in new National Geographic reality show
* Glee star Naya Rivera wears Auburn shirt in FHM photo shoot
* Bjork in Jordan-Hare
* Did an Auburn fan contribute to the teenage delinquency of Courtney Love?
* The G.I. Joe from Auburn
* So a Playmate walks into Jordan-Hare…
* Auburn fan shot dead in Alabama fan rap video
* Auburn is the question, Cam the answer on Jeopardy!