What got into Spirit on Saturday?
The Southeastern Raptor Rehabilitation Center has no idea.
“Honestly, we don’t know what distracted him,” a SRRC staffer posted in a Facebook status update this morning. “Spirit is still a wild bird and can sometimes be unpredictable. Our staff is always prepared for situations like this one.”
For what it’s worth, one theory offered in a comment on YouTube’s “Best Crowd Reaction” video of the eagle’s pregame flight suggests Spirit was trying to front with “another large bird roosting in the rafters”:
I was standing under the Eagle and when at the wall. What you can’t see in the video, and most people missed all together was another large bird roosting in the rafters. If you watch the flight of the Eagle you can tell when he passes that spot, something catches he’s eye. He immediately circled back and attacked that other large bird. It was very scary to be so close
Whatever happened, Spirit seems to be doing fine—an earlier update from the SRRC thanked Auburn fans for their concern and added “Spirit is doing well and as feisty as ever.”
* Gene Chizik’s high school hair.
* Toomer’s Corner possibly vandalized. Again.
* The Gene Chizik Elevator of Champions!
* Jaime Edmondson sports Auburn shirt in Cam Newton’s Pants photos
* Apple CEO Tim Cook only writes personal email replies to Auburn fans
* Auburn fan shot dead in Alabama fan rap video
* Shug Jordan dug the heck out of houndstooth