The Auburn University Marching Band is planning a special program for its halftime show at the Auburn-Mississippi State game on September 10, one day before the 10-year anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
“We’ll play God Bless America as we normally would, but we’ll have a moment of silence and play taps,” says Marching Band Director Dr. Corey Spurlin. Spurlin said the possible inclusion of fireworks in the performance was also being discussed. Fireworks will reportedly be featured at Jordan-Hare Stadium for every Auburn home game this season.
Additional patriotic elements won’t be the only thing new this year. Spurlin says a special arrangement incorporating various Auburn standards with Queen’s “We Are The Champions” and “Gonna Fly Now,” the theme from Rocky, has been added to the band’s gameday repertoire to commemorate Auburn’s national championship season.
* Auburn fan shot dead in Alabama fan rap video
* Shug Jordan dug the heck out of houndstooth
* War Eagle Moment from space scheduled for October 25
* “War Eagle” carved into face of the Spinx
* Fans equate Iron Bowl losses with the end of the world—now confirmed by science!
* Auburn is the question, Cam the answer on Jeopardy!
* Derek Jeter’s guardian angel spotted—and he’s an Auburn fan
* Vintage Ernest P. Worrell Auburn / Mello Yello commercial
Um.. We are the Champions by Queen has the following lyrics: “They gotta name for the winners in the world…..They call Alabama the Crimson Tide” why would we ever want to use that song?
Hey Linda, that’s “Deacon Blues” by Steely Dan, and it’s actually kind of meant as a Bama putdown, believe it or not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacon_Blues
You’re right, I thought about it later and it is 2 different songs.
Auburn Elvis says
In the caption what’s “AUMN?” Is your ‘B’ key too close to your ‘N’ key?