Auburn University officials announced this morning their decision to allow fans to continue rolling the Toomer’s Corner oaks temporarily, but according to its press release is looking to adapt the rolling tradition to secure it’s long-term viability.
One option? Some sort of toilet paper-friendly structure installed at the corner of College and Magnolia in order to “bring the celebration back to the Corner, where it originated, not in the trees area.”
“The university’s Facilities Division is exploring a long-term solution we hope will return the tradition permanently: Create an iconic, attractive intersection structure, in partnership with the city and with its approval.”
If all goes according to plan, the design of the structure will be turned into an “architectural design contest.”
We vote for The Eric Estrada.
Related: Graffiti on Toomer’s “Please Do Not Roll…” sign
* Toomer’s Corner rollings deemed ‘doomed’… in 1978?
* Does Toomer’s Corner have Wake Forest competition?
* The story behind Auburn’s contributions to the 1989 “Girls of the SEC” Playboy pictorial
* Recent Auburn grad fighting porn star, others for Charlie Sheen’s affection
* Fans equate Iron Bowl losses with the end of the world—now confirmed by science!
* Auburn is the question, Cam the answer on Jeopardy!
* Derek Jeter’s guardian angel spotted—and he’s an Auburn fan
* Bama pays professional boxers to beat Auburn for the first time
* War Eagle IV attacks Florida player, Auburn penalized 15 yards
* The Great Bo Jackson A-Day Race of 1984
* 1950 Auburn Tigers stacked at coed
Unless it’s a giant statue of the two oaks, rolling anything else just doesn’t seem right. But maybe that’s just me.
This is an opportunity to bow out of a tired tradition so we can create a new “celebration” which doesn’t revolve around defacing our own campus.
Auburn Elvis says
SMR, I’m with you, but I’m just not convinced tree statues would look good enough. I’m mean, google ‘tree statue” and you’ll see the Joyce Kilmer was right – ‘only God can make a tree.’
So, short of making art history with the world’s first awesome tree statue, I’m hoping for a 50-foot tall, steel, A-shaped arch spanning the entire intersection.
I could get behind the idea of a giant 50-foot-tall arch 🙂
Giant interlocking AU? I dunno, the tree works because there are so many little branches to snag TP, most manmade structures are going to be too slick to hold onto any appreciable mass of TP